During the colonial period in Nuevo Santander, were created the first schools as in other provinces in the North of New Spain, schools that were founded only in the most important villas and with particular character, without public intentions until the liberal Constitution issued in Cádiz, Spain, in 1812 which had limited and short periods in 1813 and 1814 and 1820 to 1821.
At the independence end, after the consolidation of the Republic and the states joined the federal pact, came out the imperative to organize a public instruction and train the staff to lead the entity, that instruction was called Free State and Sovereign of the Tamaulipas. At 1828 in Ciudad Victoria was trained the first generation of teachers normalists in the service of state education. Also in the same year, was founded a correctional school of Arts and crafts and in 1830 was decreed the creation of Instituto Hidalguiano Tamaulipeco to imparting "literary" and "scientific" instruction with public funds, starting its activities with latin studies and rhetoric. This first higher education center had a brief existence, but an important antecedent.
In February 1846, the government authorized in Ciudad Victoria a class about spanish and latin grammar, in which José Guillermo Martínez was in charge, whose teaching was an important step in the history of mid-school education in Tamaulipas.
During the government of Juan José de la Garza, was founded in Matamoros, the Instituto Literario de San Juan devoted to higher education. In 1889, during the government of Mr. Alejandro Prieto, the Institute was authorized to teach "the law courses required for lawyers", following Escuela Nacional de Jurisprudencia de México´s study plan. The Institute would remain active until 1913. Also in 1890 in Matamoros was founded a teacher´s school which resulted very valuable for the education.
On January 6, 1873 took place in Ciudad Victoria the opening of the Seminary School founded by Mr. Ignacio Montes de Oca y Obregón, first bishop of Tamaulipas; and were established study plans for Theology, Law and Philosophy and Humanities, including within the chairs corresponding to legal studies, classes of Canon law, Roman law, Patriotic Law, Criminal law, Political Economy, Natural Law and Law of Nations. This seminary served until 1880.
Bibliography: ZORILLA, J. F. (1993). Reseña histórica de la Universidad Autónoma de Tamaulipas, 1956-1993. Ciudad Victoria: UAT-Instituto de Investigaciones Históricas.